Δευτέρα 18 Ιανουαρίου 2010

Jiva Mukta



One of the most interesting concepts of the Advaita Vedānta philosophical school, is the notion of liberation from the cycle of reincarnation while still living in a human body. This, called Jiva Mukta, is the process whereby one can achieve a state of mokṣa (I am pretty sure this is the equivalent of Nirvana for the Buddhists) by gradually clearing the soul from Māyā, i.e. deception, or the complex illusory power of God, the Supreme Cosmic Spirit, or Brahman, which causes the Brahman to be seen as the material world of separate forms.

If one can break free from Māyā, which manifests itself through the senses, then one, by realizing one's oneness with the Brahman, becomes one with the Brahman and liberates oneself from the cycle of reincarnation while still in life.
To make a long story short, if you "die" before you die, you won't "die" when you die :)

The notion appears also in Shaiva Tantra in which the soul is seen as a mirror or a window that is dirty with mālas (impurities, dirt, or fine dust) which do not allow the light of Shiva, or the ultimate truth, to shine through.

Mālas manifest themselves in three basic forms:
ānavamala, the sense of self; the notion of being separate and distinct from God and the universe (pretty much the same term as maya-avidya in Vedantic philosophy).
maya mala, (or mayiya mala), the sense of duality, the material cause of the universe; the soul-body experience and limited spiritual knowledge in this world.
karma mala, the impurity of karma.

To liberate one's soul is to gradually, and through the process of various techniques, "clean" the mirror from impurities and let the light of Shiva shine through. It is a self-enlightment process that leads to the ultimate realization that is Shivoham, I am Shiva!

Mano budhyahankara chithaa ninaham,
Na cha srothra jihwe na cha graana nethrer,
Na cha vyoma bhoomir na thejo na vayu,
Chidananada Roopa Shivoham, Shivoham.

Neither am I mind, nor intelligence , Nor ego, nor thought, Nor am I ears or the tongue or the nose or the eyes, Nor am I earth or sky or air or the light, I am Shiva, I am Shiva, of nature knowledge and bliss!

Aham nirvi kalpo nirakara roopo,
Vibhuthwascha sarvathra sarvendriyanaam,
Na chaa sangatham naiva mukthir na meyah
Chidananada Roopa Shivoham, Shivoham.

I am one without doubts , I am without form, Due to knowledge I do not have any relation with my organs, And I am always redeemed, I am Shiva, I am Shiva, of nature knowledge and bliss!!

1 σχόλιο: